Some call them “little flies,” since this is the literal translation of their name, Bear Grylls calls them “mossies,” and I call them blood-sucking little turds that serve no purpose on this planet.
Ok, I might have gotten a little carried away there.
Whatever you call them, mosquitoes by any other name are still mosquitoes. They still have slender segmented bodies, a single pair of wings, three pairs of legs that resemble strands of hair more than they do legs, and elongated mouthparts that make it better to eat you with, my dear. Or at least chomp you and suck your blood.
Given the time of year, mossies are out in full force, and unless you do something about it, they won’t be going away any time soon, especially not during these beautiful months when the weather makes for a perfect evening outdoors. So, what can be done about these darn little flies? Read on, peeps. You know this bug blogger won’t leave you hangin’!
There are a number of ways to prevent mosquito bites and these are just some of them:
- Get rid of any standing water that you have near your home. Mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water, so getting rid of it will eliminate their labor and delivery ward.
- Keep mosquitoes outside. Now, I know that this is obvious but sending out engraved invitations to the mossy population is frowned upon in this and all establishments.
- Wear clothing that is light in color. Even if light colors don’t compliment your skin tone, if you are venturing out into mossy territory, it might be worth the fashion faux pas.
- Stay inside during peak mosquito times, in particular, during dusk and dawn.
- Use a mosquito repellant, like citronella. It is one of their least favorite scents.
- Stop looking so darn appealing. They wouldn’t pester you if you weren’t so enticing.
Oh, and if you are blood type O, you might want to consider switching that out. Mosquitoes seem to gravitate more toward people who have O-type blood. Such picky little bloodsuckers. The A’s and B’s aren’t off the hook, but O’s – ohh la la!
How To Get Rid of Mosquitoes, Mossies or Little Flies
On a larger scale, there is much that can be done for mosquito control. If you are looking for something that can be used to get rid of mossies in your yard, Bifen IT just might be what you are looking for. Not only does it have low toxicity, but it is also effective against fleas, ticks, and other pests that love the warm summer months. Not too shabby.
In addition, Insect Growth Regulators (IGR) are also effective in the fight to reclaim your outdoor areas. These products, like Tekko Pro Insect Growth Regulator, prevent the development of mosquitoes near water.
So many mosquito products to choose from. Not sure what will best fit your needs? Call us, send us an email, fill out the “contact us” info, send us a carrier pigeon, skywriting works too, we are here for you. One of our highly trained, extraordinarily skilled, and wickedly handsome professional technicians will be glad to assist you.
My favorite name for these “little flies” is DEAD! But no matter what you call them, HowToPest.com can help you get rid of them so you can get back outside and enjoy the weather that these spring and summer months bring.