If you have found your way to our HowToPest.com website, then you are most likely having some sort of pest control issue. Hopefully it’s not 2 a.m. and you are on the internet frantically searching “how to get rid of bed bugs”! Now what? You probably have a lot of questions, well, have no fear! We are here to help! The faster you deal with your pest control issues, the easier it could be to solve your problem! Here are some of the Frequently Asked Questions that we get and their answers:
Is DIY Pest Control Safe?
- PESTICIDES – With the proper personal protective equipment (PPE) and by following the “Use Instructions” on the pesticide label, the short answer is, YES, DIY pest control is safe. The pesticides of today are not the same as the pesticides of the 1950’s and 1960’s (remember DDT?). The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) is now involved in all aspects of pesticide manufacturing and requires a battery of scientific tests for every pesticide and every use of every pesticide. Don’t want to use a traditional pesticide? With the ever-growing popularity and effectiveness of all-natural pesticide products, this could be a great option for you!
- RODENT/ANIMAL TRAPPING – With rodent/animal trapping, you will want to know your limits! If you have rats in your attic and you have a serious fear of heights or being on a ladder, for your own safety, you may want to hire a professional exterminator to find the entry points and seal those up. But for those who are willing and able, yes rodent/animal trapping is safe. Again, because rodents and other animals (for the most part) do carry diseases, you do want to wear your personal protective equipment, such as gloves and a mask.
Will DIY Pest Control Save Me Money?
It definitely can! Let’s break it down:
Professional Pest Control Services:
Initial Inspection/Pesticide Treatment – $150-$500 (one spray treatment)
Over 1 Year: $500 – $1,600
Doing Your Own Pest Control:
Initial Investment with PPE – $30-$100 (depending on the size of pesticide bottle that you buy, this could be many treatments)
Over 1 Year: $100-$150
When should I not do my own pest control?
HowToPest.com is all about educating and empowering you, the DIY’er, to be able to take pest matters into your own hands, but there are a few situations where we think that it is not in your best interest to do so, and it may be time to hire a pest control professional:
- If you have a termite infestation that requires tenting or is beyond your ability to rectify the situation.
- If you have a swarm of flying stinging insects that can put you in immediate danger.
- If you cannot find the source of the pest problem or the animal entry points.
- If your health or safety or the health or safety of your family is put at risk.
SO, you ask, can I do my own pest control?
YES! Doing your own pest control has never been easier or more cost effective! With over 20 years of pest control and animal removal experience, HowToPest.com’s experienced technicians are ready to chat and can guide you through any pest control situation!