As the weather warms up, we tend to spend a lot more time outdoors and coming in contact with ticks can be a real possibility! Ticks can be a nuisance, and when one latches onto your or your pets’ skin it can also be frightening! Removing a tick is an important part of protecting yourself and your family from diseases, such as Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever. The good news is that it’s not a complicated process. HowToPest.com is going show you how to remove a tick from you or your pet, quickly and safely!
What is a Tick?
- A Tick is a small, blood-sucking insect.
- Ticks can be found in many areas, including grassy fields, wooded areas, and even your backyard.
- Ticks are most active during the warmer months of the year.
Identifying a Tick
- Ticks are small, round-shaped insects that range in size from 1mm to 1cm.
- They have eight legs and a hard outer shell.
- Ticks can be brown, black, or reddish in color.
- Tweezers or a tick removal tool
- Rubbing alcohol or antiseptic wipes
- A small container with a lid
Removing the Tick
Whether you are removing a tick from yourself or from your dog or cat, the steps will be the same. Note: Always be careful as not to pinch the skin.
- Use tweezers or a tick removal tool to grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible.
- Slowly and steadily pull the tick away from the skin.
- Do not twist or jerk the tick as this can cause the mouthparts to remain in the skin.
- Wash the area with soap and water.
- Apply rubbing alcohol or an antiseptic wipe to the bite site.
- Place the tick in a small container with a lid and dispose of it properly.
- Monitor the bite site for any signs of infection, such as redness, swelling, or warmth.
Protecting You and Your Pets From Future Tick Bites
Keeping you, your pets and your yard protected from ticks is definitely a must! Treating for ticks early in the season can make all the difference! Depending on where you live, 3 tick applications per year should be sufficient to keep you tick free: May, June and October. Check out all our professional tick products here!
Indoor/Outdoor Flea and Tick Pack
Fast Free Shipping!
*Shipping Policy (Aerosol Cans)
Need to get rid of a heavy flea and/or tick infestations in your home, lawn or outdoor space? Our How To Pest Indoor/Outdoor Flea and Tick Pack is exactly what you need to treat fleas and ticks in your home, lawn or garden. This Flea and Tick pack includes professional grade flea and tick control products that will cover more than 6,000 sq. ft.! What is great about this kit is that you will not only get a powerful flea and tick killing insecticide in Temprid FX , Precor 2625 and Delta Insecticide Dust but you will also receive Tekko Pro which is an Insect Growth Regulator that will continue to disrupt the flea lifecycle which can deliver up to 7 months of residual flea control! Check out our video on how to get rid of fleas and ticks below the above product image or on our Video Tutorials page!
Your kit includes:
- (4) 8 ml. Bottles of Temprid FX Insecticide Concentrate
- (1) 16 oz. Bottle of Tekko Pro IGR
- (2) 21 oz. Cans of Precor 2625 Premise Spray
- (1) Pound of Delta Insecticide Dust